Why Red Thai Curry?
Curry is one of our favorite foods. There are many variations based on what protein source is used and what vegetables are used. Spices are also a big factor in the final meal. This is our take on this Thai classic. Red Thai Curry is just great in my opinion. It is creamy, warming, full of vegetables. What else do you need?
We are making chicken curry so we are using the chicken breast as a protein source, but you can also use chicken thighs. From vegetables, we like to mix in some zucchini, but again there are many different squashes that can work as well. Feel free to experiment with this Red Thai Curry, you can exchange vegetables and protein sources to your liking and it will still be having that creamy texture and warming taste. Zucchini is just our favorite vegetable in this case and it is also easy to come by here.
This Red Thai Curry is pretty easy to make especially with our step-by-step guide. So let’s make something delicious.
Red Thai Curry With Chicken & Zucchini
- 500 g chicken breasts diced into small pieces
- 400- 500 ml coconut milk
- 60 g red curry paste
- 300 g zucchini diced into small pieces
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 15 g palm sugar
- 100 ml water (optional) Amount depends on how thick your coconut milk is. Adjust as you like it.
- 200 g bamboo shoots cooked or pickled, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1-2 chili pepper (optional) julienned
- Slice ingredients into desired pieces before we will start cooking.
- Reduce half of the coconut milk in the pan until it's thick (about 5 minutes). Stir occasionally from this point to prevent burning
- Add curry paste and stir to break up lumps. Continue cooking until the paste is thick and aromatic (about 2 minutes).
- Mix in the remaining coconut milk, fish sauce, water, palm sugar and mix well.
- Add zucchini and simmer for 5 or 6 minutes
- Add the chicken breasts and cook them with zucchini until fully cooked.
- Add the bamboo shoots and simmer for another 2 mins.
- Remove from the heat. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add the chili paper (optional) and serve with jasmine rice.
- Very quick recipe, especially if you have a rice cooker. The preparation of red curry can be done while the rice is cooking and you can serve it immediately with freshly cooked rice!
- You can also use chicken tights instead of breasts. In that case, add chicken before zucchini and cook it for 5 minutes. Then add zucchini and cook with chicken until fully cooked.
- The recipe is for 5 portions (or 4 larger portions).
- You can serve this curry with some herbs like coriander or that basil to add more flavors. Lime wedge can be also served on the side to adjust the taste.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @FOODWITHNOOB on Instagram and hashtag it #FoodWithNoob!